Home
How to get here
Meteo and Webcams
Winter
Summer
Bikers
Cycling
Tourist info
E-Card
Accomodation
Food & Beverage
Prices
Lastminute
Offers
Skiroom
About us
Credits
Contact
Information
& reservation
Photo Gallery
   

The castle and its surrounding at the time of the bishop's captancy Vescovile Bortolomeo Chiusole of Neuhof (y. 1594-1603) (oil painting of the parish Museum of Brixen)

 

The castle today

Andraz Castle
Along the road from Andraz to Falzarego pass, there is an impervious rock on which is built the Andraz Castle, the time of construction is still unknown. It is believed that it was erected by the ancient Reti, or the Romans in order to defend the road from Belluno to Litanum (San Lorenzo) or from the Goths and Allemani in the 5th and 6th century or at the end of the 900 at the time of Beregani, Duke of Friuli.
What is certain, known from some documents held in the Bishop’s archive in Bressanone is that the Castle already existed before the year 1000.
Because of the Imperial Diploma of 1027, the Bishops of Bressanone were given temporary ownership of the territory of Livinallongo and later also of the castle. Through the centuries vary nobles and powerful families (Puchenstein, Schoneg, Rodeneg, Avoscan, Stucken and Vilanders) reigned over the castle, which had a strategic importance for preserving border lines, for collecting tax money from livestock and goods and for the exploitation of the Fursil mining.
The Andraz Castle had a fundamental importance also at the time of Cardinal Nicolo of Cues and at the time of 1487 war against the Venetian Republic.
With the closure of the Fursil mines in 1755 the castle lost lot of its power, in 1803 the last Captain; Johan Linder of Bressanone left the castle.
In Napoleonic times, after the abolition of Ecclesiastical Principate the castle passed under Bavarian ownership, and in 1808 was sold to Andrea Faber of Cernadoi. The decline of the castle started in 1851 when its roof was striped apart in order to get nails and firewood.
 It was lately sold to Ludovico Steinmetz of Munich. After the annexing of Livinallongo to Italy, in 1924, the ownership has passed to the County, between 1990 and 2000 it has been reconstructed with a partial glass cover.  


Come d`autunno si levan le foglie
L´una appresso all´altra, infin che il ramo
Vede alla terra tutte la sue spoglie;

(DANTE, Inf. III, 112-115)

 

Famiglia Grones I-32020 Arabba (BL) - Dolomiti - Italia PI 00811400258